Sunday, September 18, 2011

A little something to hold you over...

Hello Loves,

I was really hoping to have my stained glass blanket complete, but you know how it goes. I am making good progress but it is not quite done yet. I do not want to spoil the ta-dah moment, I am not going to show you any more photos of it until it is done.

Luckily, I do have something to show you to "hold you over" while you wait. First, I made some homemade brownies. Making baked goods from scratch and not from a box mix has been one of my goals for this year. Brownies were one of the goodies on my list to make.


I used the recipe for Chewy Cocoa Brownies found on the Toll House Cocoa container and it turned out pretty good. It was very easy to make.
1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
2 Tbsp water
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Nestle Toll House Baking Cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional, but I used them)
Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Combine sugar, butter and water in large bowl. Stir in eggs and vanilla extract. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; Stir into sugar mixture. Stir in nuts. Spread into prepared baking pan. Bake for 18 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out slightly sticky. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into bars. Makes 2 dozen brownies.


The brownies turned out very yummy. So yummy that J and I gobble them up in only two days.


Now a real crochet "hold over". I know I said I was not going to work on anything else until I finish the stained glass blanket, but....



I was looking through photos of crochet projects and saw some diagonal pieces. After reading through some different variations of the pattern, I decided to try it with my own version of the pattern. Sometimes patterns do not make sense to me or logically works differently in my head, so after a little bit of trial and error, I was able to get this going. I am thinking a blanket (smaller one).


I hope you had a fabulous weekend. I have a very busy work week ahead so I must be off to try and finish this stained glass blanket before the week begins.
xo Susan

2 comments:

  1. I love the vibrant colours of your blanket. I can almost smell and taste those delicious brownies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice blanket with this special effect.

    ReplyDelete