Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Japanese Flower Scarf

Hello Friends,

The sun is shining, the birds are chirping and the Japanese scarf for my mom is done! Although posting the photos now will ruin her surprise when she receives the package, I know she will enjoy just as much. Thanks to all of you who commented to tell me that the scarf is wide enough with just one row. I connect my Japanese flowers as I go and had already connected two flowers to the second row. Removing them was not a lot of work, and it was definitely too thick for a scarf with two rows. Good thing I posted a progress photo a couple weeks back so I didn't waste a lot of time making two rows!

11 Japanese Flowers
  When I first thought I was done, I put the scarf on and realized the dark rose colored flowers on both ends were even with each other. I should have planned better to eliminate this from happening. I decided to add one more flower to off-set the colors.
Looked like it needed one more flower

12 Japanese Flowers
 I added a flower with light pink petals to make the scarf 12 flowers long.
The finished scarf for my mom

I am a little worried about the connection between each flower. When wearing the scarf it appears as if there is a lot of pulling happening at the petal connection. I guess I will see how it behaves when winter comes and my mom wears it. The flowers look quite big. For those of you who are interested here are the stats on the scarf:
  • 12 flowers long
  • 7 different colors
  • Lion Brand Vanna's choice yarn
  • I used a G hook, 5.00MM
  • Length 75.5inches/191cm
  • Connect-as-you-go petals
I promised my mom two scarves so I will be making her another one. I think I am going to use hexagons for the next one, but I have been eyeing some smaller flowers that may be perfect for it!
Have a fabulous day,
xoxo Susan

3 comments:

  1. Your shawl loos pretty!!Love the colours you have used!!Your Mom will be very happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really pretty- I bet your Mum will love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, great job, great colors and I'm glad you only made it one flower wide, its perfect.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete